Palacio de fomento madrid
Palacio de fomento madrid online
ministry of developmentgovernment department
The land originally belonged to the Botanical Garden and was intended to be used for several different purposes, such as the School of Arts and Crafts or the Faculty of Science. Finally it was decided to house the Ministry of Development.
On the initiative of the Marquis of Salamanca, Queen Isabel II founded the Ministry of Development in 1856. It was located in the old Trinitario Convent. In this building coexisted several institutions dedicated to Industry, Agriculture and Fine Arts, since many of the disentailed works of art that would later become part of the Prado Museum were located there.
The new building of the Ministry of Public Works was inaugurated in 1900 by Queen Maria Cristina and was used for both Public Works and Agriculture. Hence the division into two areas that can be seen after climbing the imperial staircase that gave access to each of the two ministries.
On the façade of the building are two caryatids by José Alcoverro i Amorós, who also designed the figures of Saint Isidoro and Alfonso X the Wise at the entrance to the National Library. The caryatids represent Industry and Agriculture.
DescripciónObra de Ricardo Velázquez Bosco, la sede del Ministerio de Agricultura es un edificio tan imponente como la estación de Atocha, situada al otro lado de la calle. En 1989 fue declarado Patrimonio BIC, en la categoría de Monumentos.
Terminado en 1897, tiene una superficie rectangular replegada en dos patios interiores de iguales proporciones, revestidos de hierro y cristal. La parte más destacada de este edificio es la zona de la fachada principal, con decoración en azulejos y esmaltes de Daniel Zuloaga, pinturas de Ferrant y enormes cariátides tradicionales (columnas esculpidas como figuras femeninas) que representan la industria y el comercio. En su día destacaron las esculturas de piedra talladas por Agustín Querol, que luego fueron sustituidas por esculturas idénticas de latón.
El Ministerio ofrece visitas guiadas gratuitas los fines de semana a las 12 horas, y visitas guiadas por actores por 8 euros los viernes y sábados a las 20 horas. Actualmente, el edificio alberga el Ministerio de Agricultura, Alimentación y Medio Ambiente (visitas actualmente canceladas debido a la pandemia).
ministry of education
The Palacio de Fomento, today the headquarters of the Ministry of the Environment, overlooking the Plaza del Emperador Carlos V, better known as Glorieta de Atocha, is one of the most monumental and emblematic buildings in Madrid.
The Ministry of Public Works, created in 1856, was installed in the old Trinidad Convent, on Atocha Street, until 1879, when it was decided to build its own headquarters, since the old convent did not meet the necessary conditions for an organization of this type. The land finally chosen belonged to the Royal Botanical Garden. In order to separate the new building from the Garden, a new street, Claudio Moyano Street, was opened.
After some initial ups and downs and changes – of architects, ministers, uses… – Ricardo Velázquez Bosco, who by then had already built the Palacio de Velázquez, so named today in his honor, and the wonderful Palacio de Cristal in the Retiro, took charge of the project.
On both sides of the door were installed two majestic Caryatids, the work of José Alcoverro, representing Industry and Commerce, which support the balcony. Above it, eight columns and a marble shield sculpted by Bellver.